I use to love peanut butter. I mean love it. But ever since I found out I was allergic, I could no longer eat its goodness. So I switched to almond butter but it doesn’t give me that same taste I use to love. However, my friend loves peanut butter and I was so happy to make something using it’s goodness.
This recipe is super delicious, gluten-free, full of healthy fats and protein (about 15g for the whole cake). If you are allergic to peanut butter, try subbing it with your favorite nut butter. I think cashew would go quite lovely with the caramel sauce, don’t you? Enjoy!Peanut Butter Caramel Protein “Dessert” Cake Ingredients (Serves One or Two Mini Desserts)
- 3 Tbsps of White Rice Flour (or your choice)
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp of Eggs Whites
- 1 tsp Earth Balance (melted) OR 1 Tbsps Unsweetened Applesauce – or do half/half maybe?
- 1 Tbsp of Natural & Creamy Peanut Butter, Softened (or do your choice nut butter)
- 1 Tbsp of Homemade “Caramel” Sauce
- 1/4 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Packets of Stevia (depending on sweetness choice, I used one)
- 1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
- Dash of Salt
- 1 tsp of Pure Maple Syrup (Optional* but I love me some maple!)
- Toppings: 1-2 Tbsps of Homemade “Caramel” Sauce and 1/2 Tbsp of Peanut Butter blended together all nice and warm (Do this first before you make the cake, so it can thicken)
First be sure to melt the Earth Balance and slightly heat the peanut butter so it’s softened. Then mix all ingredients well into a bowl. Using one large or two small bowls, plates, ramekins etc. sprayed down with a bit of cooking spray, pour the “cake” mixture into the bowl.
Microwave for about 1-2 minutes. Check at the one minute mark since some microwaves may work better. Once cake is firm to touch, let it stand for about a minute then flip the bowl over to slide out the cake. Top with peanut butter and caramel sauce. Maybe add some whip cream and maple syrup drizzle? Yum!Question: What’s your favorite nut butter? Are you a caramel fan? I love cashew butter from Artisana. Seriously the best stuff ever, but super expensive! And caramel, thank you for being back in my life!